Once you have identified keywords, the next step is to find background information on your topic.
Background information serves many purposes:
- If you are unfamiliar with the topic, it provides a good overview of the subject matter.
- It helps you to identify important facts related to your topic such as terminology, dates, events, history, and relevant names or organizations.
- It can help you refine your topic.
- Background research might lead you to bibliographies that you can use to find additional sources of information.
Background information can be found in:
- general encyclopedias
- subject-specific encyclopedias
- article databases